Sunday, May 2, 2010

Script Editor Extensions for Extranet 5.6

One of my first posts to this blog was to announce the availability of an experiment I was working on to enhance the Workflow Script editor so that it supports syntax highlighting and automatic indentation. The experiment worked well enough that several of you gave it a try and are still using it even today. That’s not to say there weren’t rough edges and annoyances. There most certainly were, but I told myself that if I were to revisit this experiment again, that I’d keep those in mind.
Recently, I’ve been wanting to update the editor so that it was compatible with Extranet 5.6 and this weekend I took the time to do just that. I’m happy to announce version 2.0 of the Script Editor Extension.
image
All previous features were retained:
  • Automatic Syntax Highlighting for JScript
  • Automatic indentation according to JScript syntax rules
Version 2.0 includes some new features too:
  • Extensions for both the Workflow Script Editor and the Command Window
  • Completely rewritten to avoid inclusion of base Extranet pages in the Script Editor Extension download package. This does imply making a minor change to the standard editor pages but it is as simple as adding a single symlink. Nothing already on the base pages is altered in any way. My hope is this will make it easier to adopt new base enhancements as they are released.
  • Deployable as a standard Update via the Administration manager
  • Automatically resizes the editor as the page is resized
  • The color scheme used for syntax highlighting matches the standard color scheme used in Site Designer and Entity Manager.
If you are already on Extranet 5.6 and are interested in giving this a try, just download the package and follow the included instructions.
Though this is provided as-is and is not part of the standard product, I’d love to hear your feedback. I plan to use this myself and if you encounter any issues, there’s a good chance I’ll post updates.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment